Some Sundays I start to wonder why we even try to make it to church. It starts before we even get there. Sunday mornings are always hectic trying to get everyone ready and we are always missing someone's shoe and have to look forever and we finally make it to church late, even though we don't start till one o'clock. I was feeling pretty good this Sunday because we were even a little bit early. We sat in a bench and we were doing fairly well until the Sacrament prayer. Pyper chose this moment to let out a huge burp, then she said excuse me and London burst out laughing. Since it got a laugh the first time, Pyper kept trying to burp through the rest of the prayer and then crawled under the bench so I couldn't get to her. We waited until after the sacrament was over so as not to cause a huge scene and then marched her out to the car. Kevin took her home to have a time out in her room which she thought was tragic so hopefully she will remeber it the next time she starts acting up.
In the mean time, London, Asher and I stayed behind to listen to the meeting. Asher has just started cooing and making noise all the time. If he cries I take him out, but if he is just happily cooing, I like to stay and try to listen to the speakers. Usually we are sitting around other families with young babies so we are all just kind of used to it and it blends in. A family with older kids sat in front of us this Sunday though and the mother was quite annoyed with my little Asher guy. So after a few looks of death from the row in front of us, I packed up Asher and London and we went to the mother's lounge to listen to the rest of the meeting.
After sacrament the girl's went to primary so it calmed down a little and we had a really good lesson in Young Women's so I left church feeling spiritually uplifted. Ultimately I am glad we went, but does anyone else feel like church is a wrestling match? Any ideas for making sacrament meeting more uplifting and keeping kids calm? We have quiet books and crayons, but I swear Pyper turns into a little devil the moment we enter the chapel and I would be open to any suggestions. Anyway, if you need some entertainment next Sunday, feel free to sit by us.
Owed to Lennon
14 years ago

6 comments:
Yep! I feel your pain! I don't know that there is a whole lot you can do - if there is, we could sure use some enlightenment. One thing I have been trying to do is get Morgan pumped about each new thing "Now we get to sing, Yay!" "Ready, set, fold your arms!" and the like. Good luck!
I only have one, so it's not so bad. I was talking to my mom about this, and she helped put it in perspective. She said, "I used to wonder why I even went to church...always having to take a child out. Now, sometimes I WISH I had an excuse to leave!" I guess the best way is to just enjoy even the crazy moments that will be gone before you know it!
I agree with Mel. Wes & I have been looking forward to having an excuse to get out of at least every other sunday school lesson. And I never really pay attention in sacrament anyway. I enjoy watching what everyone's kids are doing.
We are right there with ya. We have been gathering ideas as our kids have always been active. Several mothers told us they don't let their kids get books or toys out until after the sacrament. We actually practice being reverant during family home evening and scripture study. I just posted ont this January 8th with web sites I read when we got desperate. Maybe they can help. Just remember you are where you are supposed to be!! And when all else fails laugh. :)
hello Barlows!!
I hate to say this but I've been lurking and reading your blog for a while now, and I'm outing myself, just because I feel real creepy letting this continue. I saw your link on Kellys blog. Kevin should remember me... I was the one who valiently stopped pornographic images from being displayed in my neighborhood, and you sweet Shantel took my ultrasound for my second son Ian... so I'm glad to see your little family growing! so fast.. and Shantel, that man cold is too funny I sent it out to everyone. I'm sorry I haven't commented til now....forgive me....you have a beautiful family!! The Machens have a blog too, I just don't tell Shawn because I'm afraid he would just make fun of me...You can connect through Kelly's blog just look for Camille and Shawn! and if you think I'm just too creepy, leave a comment on my blog...because I'm even scarng myself..just look at this comment!!
I don't know your e-mail address, but I'd love to get together as you suggested. Let me know when your next play group or fun activity is happening. I remember when I visit taught that you were serving as the activity days leader. Any suggestions? I've been in almost two years and we are planning the new calendar...thanks!
heatoddgardner@yahoo.com
Post a Comment